What’s Next For Laid-Off Workers The year 2020 will live in the minds of Americans for years if not decades to come. Regardless of how someone sees the Coronavirus pandemic, there is no denying the pandemic has affected many American lives.
One area where the pandemic has had a profound effect is on the U.S. economy. This has led to a massive amount of layoffs. Unfortunately, the effect of these layoffs included an unemployment rate that jumped from 4% to 14% in just 6 weeks. That’s a lot of jobs lost in an economy that is dependent on contributions from all American workers.
As the economy starts its recovery, there are growing concerns that many lost jobs won’t be returning. While that may seem like a tragedy for a lot of people, it could just as well become an opportunity. What kind of an opportunity? An opportunity to start a new career.
What the Future Holds for Unemployed Worker
If an unemployed worker is not expecting a call from their employer, there is no time for lamenting. This is a perfect time and opportunity for unemployed workers to find a new career path. Fortunately, the online education industry is geared towards allowing people to do just that.
Think about it for a moment. You lost your job or business. You need to find something new that will offer you long term security in a business environment that’s changing. You now have the option of pursuing an online degree right from the comfort of your home. Whether you realize it or not, this is the future of education in America.
The responsibility you have to yourself and your family is to find a financially and mentally rewarding career path. You also need to identify a career path that is going to remain relevant in the coming economic environment,
Good news! Online classes and degrees are now available in many areas where lucrative and enjoyable job/career opportunities await.
Career Paths to Consider
If you are going to pursue an online degree, you want to make sure to invest your time and money wisely. It’s important to choose an occupational target that is going to be relevant today and in the future.
To help you in that endeavor, here is a short list of online degrees that are currently gaining in prominence:
- Bachelor’s Degree Business Administration – provides access to careers in accounting, marketing, investments, and finance
- Associate’s in Medical Assistance – responsibilities include logging appointments, keeping medical records, and interacting with insurance companies
- Dental Hygienist Certification – responsibilities include assisting dentists, performing cleanings, and educating patients about good dental hygiene
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science – career paths include web design, network design, and software development
- Associate’s and Bachelor’s Degrees in Information Systems with a focus on digital security
- Associate’s and Bachelor’s Degrees in Fire Science – responsibilities include performing fire inspections and analyzing fire prevention techniques
If you have a specific interest, there’s a good chance you can find an associated degree program online. If you choose or need to work while attending online courses, you will find doing so in manageable.