University of Minnesota Crookston
Non Sponsored School
Crookston, MNWeb Link
Laptop Programs:The University of Minnesota Crookston has been issuing a standard model laptop computers to all full-time, on-campus students and faculty since 1993. It is widely recognized as the first four-year institution in the nation to implement this "Laptop U" strategy. This program provides a valuable service and powerful tool to on-campus students, and it continues to be a magnet for students seeking an advanced education and technology expertise. One of the many benefits of the program is that every student has a similar, standard machine, which enhances peer-to-peer learning and simplifies and standardizes support.
Current Model Distributed to Faculty, Staff and StudentsFebruary 2019 we completed an RFP for the laptop computer program and awarded Hewlett-Packard (HP) the contract for our new laptop fleet. We selected the HP 1040-G5, which is a 2-n-1 device capable of being used as a traditional laptop or converted to a tablet formfactor. Below are the specifications for the new HP 1040-G5’s.
HP 1040-G5 Specs
- Intel i5 8250U 8th Generation processor
- 16GB RAM
- 256GB SSD Hard Drive
- 14” FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED ultraslim Touchscreen display
- Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 2 Thunderbolt USB-C, 2 USB, 1 HDMI, and 1 Headphone out ports
- Bang & Olufsen 4 speaker premium sound and multi array mic
- 1080p FHD Camera
- Spill-resistant keyboard with Glass ClickPad
- 4 Cell 56 WHr Long Life Battery
- Windows 10 Operating System
- Three (3) year warranty with Accidental Damage Protection and Defective Media Retention
- Dimensions: 12.65” x 8.46” x 0.66”, weight: around 3 lbs.
Graduate Laptop Gifting ProgramThe University of Minnesota Crookston (UMN Crookston) allows our on-campus, degree-seeking graduates to keep their UMN Crookston issued laptop computer after successful completion of all UMN Crookston academic graduation requirements approved by the UMN Crookston Registrar’s Office and fulfillment of the required procedures listed below:
- The on-campus graduate has consistently participated in the laptop computer program.
- The on-campus graduate paid all technology fees associated with the laptop computer program each term of attendance.
- The on-campus graduate must return the laptop computer by the last day of finals of the semester you graduate to remove university owned software, re-image with factory load, and make necessary repairs.
- The on-campus graduate is responsible for backing up their data prior to returning the laptop computer.
- The on-campus graduate will coordinate shipping or pick-up procedures with the UMN Crookston Computer Help Desk.
Fees for the Laptop Computer Program
Students enrolled at UMC pay a $250 UMC Campus Fee and $275 Durable Goods Fee each semester. The fee covers the costs associated with providing students with: notebook computers; pre-installed software; access to laser printers; power and LAN connections in classrooms, residence halls, and lounges; assistance from the Computer Help Desk; e-mail system; student Web page account; on-line library card catalogs; and World Wide Web access. Learn more about the Student Laptop Computer Program Link(s): https://onestop.crk.umn.edu/finances/fees
Issuing of Laptop ComputersLaptop computers are issued at the beginning of each semester to new and returning on-campus, degree seeking students. Students must have a minimum of six (6) on-campus credits to qualify for a UMN Crookston issued laptop computer.An exceptions may be granted for traditional on-campus students who temporarily transition to online only status to complete degree requirements (see below).Laptops computers are issued at the UMN Crookston Computer Help Desk. Located at Kiehle Building room 131.Learn more Campus Laptop Program: Issuance and Return PolicyException for traditional on-campus students who transition to Online only status for a short period and wish to continue using a UMN Crookston issued laptop computer.UMN Crookston on-campus students who decide to complete their UMN Crookston education online for a short period (i.e. one semester), may request to temporarily use a UMN Crookston issued laptop. These requests are reviewed on case-by-case basis and must be approved by the UMN Crookston Help Desk manager and/or IT Director. If the request is approved, the student’s account will be assessed the student technology fees, the laptop will be reimaged with the factory load (i.e. operating system), the student may download the University provided Microsoft Office 365, and the student is required to sign a condition of use agreement outlining student responsibility.
Return of Laptop ComputersOn-campus UMN Crookston students withdrawing from campus or converting to online degree status are REQUIRED to return their University issued laptop computer. The University can not sell the UMN Crookston issued laptops since we are required to return them to the supplier at end-of-lease.
- If you have a UMN Crookston issued laptop computer and will not be registering for and taking a minimum of six (6) on-campus credits in the consecutive term, you must return your computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk by 3:00 p.m. on Friday of finals week of the current term. If the computer is not returned by that date, you will automatically be assessed a $50 late fee, and a weekly charge of $31.25 will be assessed.
- Students who withdraw at any time during the term are REQUIRED to return the laptop computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk as a part of completing the withdrawal process. We will not sign your withdrawal form until the laptop computer is returned. The withdrawal from must be signed by the UMN Crookston Help Desk manager, or the IT Director, or designate.
- Students who drop below six (6) on-campus credits during the term must inform the UMN Crookston Help Desk and make arrangements to return their laptop or temporarily retain use for the remainder of the term.
Return of Laptop Computers during a rolloverDuring a laptop computer rollover, students are required to return their university issued laptop computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk by 3:00 p.m. the Friday of finals week.*Exceptions may include the following:
- Registered for a UMN Crookston May and/or summer term class
- Registered for a UMN Crookston summer term internship
- UMN Crookston summer employment
- UMN Crookston study abroad summer term participant
*You must make arrangements with the UMN Crookston Help Desk manager in advance. This will include a timeframe for returning the laptop computer upon completion of approved exception. If arrangements are not made, normal late fees will be applied to the students’ account.
Consequences for Students Who Do Not Comply with the Return RequirementIf a student fails to return their University issued laptop computer including power supply, it will be considered unauthorized possession of University property. An initial non-refundable late fee will be charged, and there will be a weekly non-refundable charge for up-to six (6) weeks until the equipment is returned. If the laptop computer is not returned by the end of the six (6) weeks, the student’s account will be billed for the fair market value of the laptop computer and any associated late fees. At that point, the student will have purchased the computer from the University and will now be the owner of the computer.
The student is responsible for payment of any charges associated with the laptop computer at the UMN Crookston Business Office.
Lost or Stolen Laptop
Please report a lost or stolen laptop to the UMN Crookston Computer Help Desk promptly. If your laptop computer was stolen, contact local law enforcement where the theft occurred. Provide a copy of the police report to the UMN Crookston Help Desk (the University of Minnesota requires a copy of the police report for stolen university property). Your student account will be charged $500 for a lost or stolen laptop computer. Although it is not mandatory, we do recommend that students have a personal liability policy for their UMN Crookston issued laptop which should help cover the $500 university charge.
GraduationOn-campus graduates from the University of Minnesota Crookston have the option to take ownership of their campus-issued laptop computer after successfully completing all academic graduation requirements. See our "Graduate Gifting Program" section above for more information.
To know more about laptop programs, click here.