Towson, MarylandWeb Link
About the School:Towson University is a public university in Towson, Maryland. It is a part of the University System of Maryland. Founded in 1866 as Maryland's first training school for teachers, Towson University has evolved into a university with eight colleges and over 20,000 students
Student Laptop Services
OTS Student Computing Services (SCS) assists students with their laptop needs.
Services for LaptopsStudents experiencing laptop problems can visit the OTS Student Computing Services (SCS) Service Desk in Cook Library Room 35, Towson Run Room 123 or TUNE Room 206. Services include:
- software support
- malware removal
- diagnosis of hardware issues
- loaner laptops - if it is necessary for us to keep your laptop, you can make an appointment to drop it off and borrow a laptop from us
DELL SERVICELaptops purchased through the Dell Laptop Program, which ended in 2012, are still under warranty and are eligible for hardware support through Student Computing Services (SCS). Consult the Service Desk for assistance with all other Dell laptops.
MAC SERVICEStudents needing hardware assistance with their Mac laptops can use our Apple Depot Service, or go directly to the nearby Apple Store in the Towson Town Center (825 Dulaney Valley Road). Information about OTS' Apple Depot Service:
- Mac service can be arranged through the SCS Service Desk on the first floor of Cook Library in Room 35
- Work will be performed by Chesapeake Systems, a third party authorized Apple service center
- Warranty work will be performed free of charge
- Chesapeake Systems will contact the owner if additional service charges apply
- When work has been completed, Chesapeake Systems will return the laptop to the SCS Service Desk (CK 35) and our staff will contact the owner
Purchasing a New Laptop
WHAT SHOULD I BUY?Before purchasing a computer, students should seek the advice of their major's department to better identify the nature of their work and the most appropriate platform and tools. Options can be researched in buying guides, like PC Magazine, PC World, Computer Shopper, and Consumer Reports.
DELL LAPTOPSInformation on academic discounts for personal Dell purchases can be found on the OTS Buying a Personal Computer page.
MAC LAPTOPSTowson University has negotiated a discount purchase agreement with the Apple Store for Education to provide students with choices of laptop platforms.
Software for Students
Many software titles are available to TU students for free, or at a discounted cost. SCS offers installation assistance in Cook 35, Towson Run 123 and TUNE 206.Towson University offers students many free and discounted applications, including the most recent versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Here are the ways to get software: