Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Non Sponsored School
Cambridge, MassachusettsWeb Link
About the School:Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Institute is a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant university, with an urban campus that extends more than a mile alongside the Charles River.
Student Laptop Loaner ProgramMIT under the Information Systems and Technology (IS&T) maintains a limited pool of loaner laptops that may be requested by undergraduate students who do not possess a laptop for academic use.
Benefits and key featuresThe IS&T Laptop Loaner Program provides a resource to currently enrolled MIT undergraduates to help them excel in their academic work. Pre-installed software:
- Windows 10 Enterprise x64
- Adobe Reader
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- FireFox ESR
- MS Office 2016
- MIT CA
- Secure CRT/Secure FX
- Sophos Anti-Virus
RequirementsThe Laptop Loaner Program is intended for academic use by currently enrolled MIT undergraduates who do not own a laptop.
- Observing best practices related to the physical and network security and protection of the equipment.
- Preventing damage to the equipment.
- Protecting the equipment so it is not lost or stolen in cases where theft was preventable (police report required).
- Other damage due to misuse or carelessness.
- Removing and saving personal data from the laptop before it is returned.
- The laptop will be re-imaged upon its return and any data will be irretrievably wiped. No accommodation can be made for recovering data left behind on the laptop once it has been returned.
- Returning the laptop to the program in good condition by the date due.
- Semester: One academic semester at a time. Laptops are due on the last day of Finals Week at the end of the semester during which they were checked out.
- Between semesters: Laptops checked out between the fall and spring semester are due at least one week before start of classes.
Getting startedAny currently-enrolled MIT undergraduate student may request a laptop from this program. Each qualifying student can borrow one laptop at a time. All requests are kept on record. Requests will be filled in the order they are received and when a laptop becomes available. There is a limited pool.
To know more about laptop programs, click here.