Online Colleges in West Virginia
West Virginia is rich in American heritage, acting as one of the key border states during the Civil War. In today’s society, it is known for its contributions to the logging and coal mining industries. The diverse topography and extensive mountain ranges throughout the state create for stunning views that bring tourists in year after year. The average worker here earns about $37,000 a year, but metropolises like Charleston typically yield higher paying jobs.
- About the School: Independence University boasts one of the longest standing online education programs in the country, with over 37 years of distance education offerings. Independence University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools, a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education. As a non-profit university, Independence University is uniquely situated to provide their students with a great return on their education investment.
- Laptop Programs: Students enrolled at Independence University qualify to receive both a tablet and a laptop. The tablet is shipped to the student upon enrollment and the laptop is shipped at the beginning of the student’s fourth module. All the software you need to complete your degree program is included. Students keep the laptop upon graduation. Tablets and Laptops are not issued to graduate or completion program students.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Graphic Arts, Healthcare Administration, Information Systems, Nursing Administration, Nursing Education, Accounting, Accounting with a Forensic Accounting emphasis, Business Administration, Business Administration with a Human Resources emphasis, Business Administration with a Technology emphasis, Graphic Arts with an Information Design emphasis, Health Information Management, Health Services Management, Networking & Information Systems Security, Nursing (RN to BS Completion), Respiratory Care with a Respiratory Care Management concentration, Respiratory Care with an Advanced Clinical Practice concentration, Medical Assisting, Software & Mobile Applications Development, Web Design and Development.
- Web Address: https://www.independence.edu/
- Accreditation: ACCSC
West Liberty University
- About the School: West Liberty University is the oldest college in West Virginia. It was established in 1837, 26 years before the state joined the Union. WLU offers a variety of degree programs for students in West Virginia, with most of them focusing on health care and business administration. This school in particular is known for its extensive scholarship program.
- Laptop Programs: WLU's Student Laptop Program is designed to give students access to computers they need to complete their degrees. Only business majors are required to participate in the program, but students from other majors use the opportunities provided by the school. Some students receive extra software on their laptops pertaining to their degrees, like Adobe for graphic design majors. Select degree programs may involve an iPad 2 instead of a laptop.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: Accounting, Broadcasting, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Information Systems, Creative Art Therapy, Criminal Justice, Dental Hygiene, Elementary Education, English, Finance, Geography, Graphic Design, Health Care Management, History, International Studies, Marketing, Microbiology, Music, Nursing, Physical Education, Psychology, Public Relations, Special Education, Sports Management, Theater
- Web Address: WestLiberty.edu
- Accreditation: NCATE, HLC
West Virginia University
- About the School: West Virginia University offers a vast assortment of degree programs at all levels of education. It is one of only 11 land-grant, doctoral research universities that offer a comprehensive medical school. WVU has special programs for veterans, minorities, and other subdivisions of society. This school provides a great education for a diverse group of students every year.
- Laptop Programs: the WVU laptop program has been around since 1998. It provides students in the Health Sciences Center with the devices they need for school. Participating schools include the School of Nursing, School of Medicine, and School of Pharmacy. Each student is issued a Lenovo ThinkPad to use for the duration of their degrees. Software and technical support are included, for free, with the laptop.
- Degrees and Programs Offered: 195 undergraduate degree programs in Business, Law, Dentistry, Medicine, Physical Activity, Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Public Health, Pharmacy, Creative Arts, Education, and more
- Web Address: WVU.edu
- Accreditation: HLC